Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Flying above a carpet of cotton


This morning I checked the weather because it was supposed to be clear, and it said few clouds at 1 thousand three hundred (above the ground).

I looked out the window and it looked relatively clear (even though it was still dark). So I decided to fly. On the way to my friends house to get the plane, I noticed some thin fog in the valleys. Not really a problem, so I called a bud to get a ride from the airport to work and got the plane ready to fly.

It was just getting light and the sky was just gray. Again, not really a problem. About 500 feet above ground, I was in the clouds (the plane is equipped for visual flight, not Instruments only flight). Snap decision...do I continue or turn around and land? I'll be out of them in just a second and the destination is pretty clear. I focused on the instruments and kept climbing. Sure enough a minute or two later I was above the clouds. Still can't see much as the sun hasn't officially risen. I climbed higher than normal and followed the GPS track towards work. 20 minutes into the flight, I still haven't seen the ground. I was beginning to think I'll be flying around a while... Once again, not a problem as I have 4 hrs of fuel before I run out.

I see a little bump in this beautiful but boring layer of a cotton 'carpet' which must be the mountain about 10 miles from where I'm going. On the other side, there is a big hole in the clouds so I know I can at least come back there and go under the clouds if I need to. I know where the airport is, but still can't see it. I can eventually see parts of the ground and find another hole and circle down through it. I'm running late and haul ass towards the airport. Dump all the flaps and get slowed down for a nice touchdown and turn off.

A little excitement to start the day.

That was FUN!!!!

8 comments:

? said...

Glad to hear you made it out alive! I feel like I'm traveling through clouds myself today. Surely the bottle of Prozac I ate for lunch can't be the cuase.

? said...

cuase = cause

See, I really do need sleep.

Bad Bob said...

Must be the prozca. I haerd that it somteimes cuases you to mispel words.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Ooo- lovely, AND exciting! What a brilliant way to start the day :)

I wonder how many of us "know" what we are doing without being able to see clearly? You said you had your insruments, but there's nothing like being able to SEE where you are and where you are going...

Much like Bottle Blonde said...I too feel like I'm traveling in clouds. I hope I know what I'm doing~
Have a great weekend! The weather is supposed to be gorgeous :) Finally!

Steph said...

Sounds freakin scary to me!!!

I'm not a good flyer, the first little hint of turbulence and I'm stuck to the ceiling of the plane hanging by my nails.

phishez said...

Thats gorgeous. I'm so jealous right now!

Bad Bob said...

Mayden, sometimes even seeing where you are going doesn't help...

Steph, I'd have to spend some time with you and explain what causes turbulence and how the plane won't fall out of the sky so you wouldn't be so skeered (that's USA redneck for scared).

Phishez, Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to go check out your blog. You don't have to be jealous. I'm always looking for someone to go fly with...

Anonymous said...

Good post.