Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Hump Day

I guess we could call it camel day since they have a hump. No humping around my place that's for sure.

I guess Tony Stewart will try to race at Dover. That is going to be painful no matter what. At least they have a talented relief driver who is capable of doing well there...Ricky Rudd. I was a fan of his when he was driving for Bud Moore (who had a summer house on the lake right down the street from me). I just hope that Zippy can get the car to fit Rudd's likes for qualifying. I think it would be cool if Tony couldn't finish the race and Ricky could win it.

I'll be taking part of the day off tomorrow to wait for the washing machine repair guy. It's only 2 weeks old, but the timer thingy doesn't work right. It'll wash forever, but won't drain, rinse or spin on anything but normal. At least it does that.

My friend and co-worker is having a colonoscopy today. That's just a primer in case the IRS crawls up his butt with a big flashlight. I wonder what type of person in medical school one day wakes up and decides, "I want to be a proctologist"? You couldn't tell anyone about it or you'd be the butt of all the jokes.

Deductive Reasoning...
The sport of choice for the urban poor is BASKETBALL

The sport of choice for maintenance-level employees is BOWLING
The sport of choice for front-line workers is FOOTBALL
The sport of choice for supervisors is BASEBALL
The sport of choice for middle management is TENNIS
The sport of choice for corporate officers is GOLF

CONCLUSION: The higher you are in the corporate structure, the smaller your balls.

2 comments:

Clance' McClannahan said...

At least Tony has the option to race a few laps and then let Ironman rack up the rest of them for him. Dang that must be hurtin...Pain vs. determination...hmmm. He got more chootzpa than I. But then again that's why he's my driver.

Bad Bob said...

Wow! Another post! I should check it more often, but then again I should post more often.

I have #20 salt and pepper shakers at my house, and my roommate has a #20 Leather Jacket, so that might let you know who I pull for.

There are a number of drivers I don't mind winning, but also a bunch I don't want to win.

I met Tony's dad at the Winston a few years ago. I had been caught up in that media negativity about him and wouldn't even shop at Home Depot because of it.
A guy and his wife/girlfriend came into the suite near start finish (Coke had given our school 2 tickets to go, and I was able to go...way too cool) and the only seats in the suite that were left were next to me. I had already heard enough "Tony Stewart" by some chick in there, and I figured his mom was there because she had on a leather Jacket with Home Depot on it...
This guy sat down and had a #20 on his golf shirt sleeve, and I thought I can't get away from this #20 crap.
After a while I introduced myself and he said his name was Nelson Stewart and later "Tony's dad". We talked at length about how he started racing and found out we had a lot in common and I realized through Nelson how much passion Tony had for winning. His father was rightfully proud.
I realized that if I had been in Tony's shoes, I probably would not have acted as well as he did on those occasions.
Drawing #20 in the race pool just added to it. During one of the intermissions between heats, the "Tony Stewart" girl came over to talk to her father (yup, I was surrounded by the whole family), and she was saying something like "so, whats so bad about second"? to her dad, and I said, "Nobody ever remembers who came in second. In fact, not many even remember who came in first, unless they have a personal stake in it."
Tony has a nice family, and I'm glad I was able to meet them. I wish I could relate that story to Nelson (and Tony too), but from then on I have been pulling for Tony.
Now I go to Lowe's with some angst.