Tuesday, February 05, 2008

N222EE

The fate of my fathers plane will be unknown, and probably forever. It was owned by a moron lawyer in Salem Oregon for 6 years, and sold in 1999 to a "John Doe" in Arizona somewhere, or as the official documentation states, Nogales Mexico.
I will never be in a position to be able to afford even an older Cessna 182 like that, but it was the nicest specimen of a 1967 C182K in the country.
There isn't much you can do with an airplane to customize it, but dad had all the legal speed modifications available and a special FAA approved Camshaft in the engine. I rebuilt it for him one summer when I was off from school, and it would cruise at 172 mph and burn 9 gallons per hour. That's almost 20 mpg! I know it doesn't sound like much, but it would hold 4 people plus luggage, and better mpg than most SUVs get.
Although I couldn't have afforded it, a buddy of mine would have bought it and I could have flown it whenever and wherever I wanted.
Now I'm on hold with the FAA waiting to be able to reserve that number. I just registered my Sonex with 806MB. 806 kind of looks like Bob although I would have rather had 808, but it is taken, and MB (Mike Bravo in international alphabet) stands for Margarita Bob, since I make the best Margaritas ever. It took me years to perfect my recipe. Mike Bravo would have been a good name for the main character in a couple of detective novels my dad wrote but never published, so it fits. I might change someday to 222EE if I can, but maybe I'll get another plane someday.
I didn't sleep much last night.

3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm sorry to hear it, but at least you know where it is and what happened to it :(

Bad Bob said...

I'm getting over it now, but the update explains more of what I found out. It still pisses me off. I haven't spoken with my step mom since she said she was selling the plane. The last words I heard her say were, "If anyone in the family was interested in it, I'd probably keep it." The last thing she heard me say was, "So you don't consider me part of the family?" I hung up on her and then left the phone off the hook.
Thanks for checking.

Anonymous said...

I'm the moron lawyer that bought your dad's plane, moron. Anyway it was a great plane but would slow to 100 foot a minute climb at 8-9000 feet which was just too slow when I was in the ice so I bought a Turbocharged 210. Now thats a plane. Sorry to say but I have my suspicions that 222EE ended up in the drug trade. And whoever filed for the number 222EE was the real moron. A little too redundant. I went across the country with that plane several times and flew it in all kinds of weather. It had a very basic auto pilot. And could use auto gas