Monday, February 11, 2008

Drug Runner?

I sent a letter to the lawyer, and he emailed me back with more info on my dad's plane. He put an ad in Trade A Plane, and within a week, he got a call from someone in Mexico who was interested in buying the plane.
When it was learned that it had long range fuel tanks, he said he would take it (sight unseen). The lawyer went on a business trip and when he got back, his secretary said there were two Mexican gentlemen waiting in a motel and had been there for 3 days. (The secretary couldn't get hold of the lawyer for 3 days? WTF?)
The one gentleman was a pilot and the other was buying the plane for his son who was a traveling physician. The plane they had now need $50,000 worth of updates, so they were looking for another one.
After looking at the plane, they paid the lawyer $52,000 cash in 20 dollar bills. It took the lawyer, his partner and accountant several hours to open the duct tape cylinders with rolls of 20s and count them.
I guess doctors in Mexico are paid in cash with American 20 dollar bills. That's the way it is here isn't it?
The plane was never registered in Mexico, and not re-registered here.

I got the registration for my plane Saturday. It's official 806MB. Now if I can just get the wiring finished (what a pain), fuel system in and the cowling finished, I'll be ready to fly the dang thing.

I looked at paint chips to see the colors to paint it, and I found some really cool paint. It's called Kameleon Kolors by House of Kolor. They actually change colors! I thought that would be perfect until I found out it costs $2250 per gallon (retail)!! I can get it for $1900 a gallon, but that is definitely 10 times more than I planned to spend. I guess I'll go for more traditional paints and colors.

6 comments:

jennifer said...

Oh my gosh. A drug running plane!

I'm sorry you can't find it. I hope your plane makes you happy anyway! 806 used to be a terrific martini bar here in cleveland, by the way. it is also the area code in Amarillo Texas.

glad to see you're writing again!

:)

Bad Bob said...

Thanks Jennifer! I visited your blog today and I'm sorry for what you are going through. I'm not much of a martini drinker, but I probably would have gone there. Been working on the plane pretty steadily, but the progress is slow. I will get there, however.

jennifer said...

:)

fingers said...

Hi Bob, I've been meaning to pop in for a while.
Cool blog; you're a very funny guy.
Two things you should never DIY are nuclear reactors and light planes.
No good ever comes of either.
I want you to think about that, Bob...

Bad Bob said...

Hey Fingers, Glad you stopped by. I'm still laughing about the "loose as a clown pocket" comment. I'm not sure I can get that picture out of my head.
I've given the DIY a lot of thought over the years, and it's something I have to do.
If it turns out well, I'll let you know. If not....

Steph said...

lol that is very dodgy! I hope you don't hear from those shady characters again.