Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kansas isn't in Kansas anymore

Here goes for the second try on this post....

A buddy I work with is the penultimate Kansas fan...you know, Kansas the band. Yup, they are still around and are as good or possibly better than ever. Back in the Late 70's-Early 80's I lived in Atlanta, and worked with a guy who built street rods, etc. He hired me to help him with a 1937 Chevrolet coupe. We were building a hot rod for Dave Hope, bass player of Kansas. Those were the days. Dave would come by and we'd hang out, and I'd get to go to parties and hang out with the band.


Marty said we were going to the Kansas concert in Greenville, SC, and although I'm not a fan of crowds, I went. Had a great time. I mentioned to him that the band just wasn't the same to me (of course I hadn't seen them since probably '82), and I miss the original guys.
















Dave was very proud of the fact that "Kansas is the only big name band that has all the original members!"....Dave left about a year and a half later. I understand why he left, and if I had stayed around Atlanta (had to go racing), I'd have needed to leave too. Way too much partying. It's amazing to me that any band can stay together for the long haul anyway. Too close, too long, too much.


The musicianship is, as always, amazing. Although I still miss the original band, this group is very "tight", especially considering how difficult their music is to play.

I sure would like to talk to Dave again. He is an ordained minister now. I'm glad he has his life together and I wonder what happened to the coupe. I never took a picture of it, but it sure was fun driving around in it.

Billy's (the guy I was working with) girlfriend, one time called me "Mr. Coupe", and Billy corrected her, saying it's "DOCTOR COUPE". The name stuck for quite some time, and The Monolith album (before public releasse) was signed; To Bob, "Dr. Coupe", thanks for your help on the car. Best Wishes from Dave Hope. It was also signed by Ehart and Walsh. That album was stolen along with several hundred others along with my stereo and car.
I'm still bummed about that.

I looked at a picture of Dave on the internet, and damn if he didn't get old. I guess I had better go look in the mirror. Fortunately, I'm not as old as him and look much much younger...no, really!

I just try to regain some of my youth sometimes, and that concert was one of those times. It brought back memories of the band getting ready for a tour, and Dave would come by and say, "We sound like a garage band trying to do Kansas songs." It would only be a couple of days later that he would say they were starting to sound like Kansas again. It was only after that, the practice sessions would be open for viewing (unless you were special, like me).

3 comments:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Lovely trip down memory lane...and of course you are special!
:) (Sorry about the theft and loss of your car and beloved things :( Sad!)

? said...

Kansas? They don't ring a bell, but I'm sure I've heard their music before. What are some of their popular songs? I'll look 'em up.

Bad Bob said...

Mayden,
They aren't the only things that have been stolen over the years, but I've made up for most of it...

Holy Shit BB!! It's KANSAS!! I guess your mom and dad didn't listen to the radio when you were little?? You can go to kansasband.com and there are some snipets of a couple songs. The first one is "Point of Know Return", probably the first or second most famous song they did. "Dust in the Wind" is another really famous song. Now I'm feeling really old.