Thursday, October 04, 2007

Crappy Weather

Well here I am at work, working...no...really. I looked outside and we are under an ominous cloud cover. What's that? Blue sky! There is a hole in the clouds!
Maybe, just maybe, I'll get to fly to Tennessee tomorrow to the fly-in there. The weather doesn't have to be perfect, but where I'm going is reporting 6000 foot ceiling. As long as I can get a couple thousand feet over the ground without being in the clouds, I'm good to go.

This year there are some workshops that I hope will be very informative for me. Canopy and cowling fitting as well as an electrical workshop are offered. I'm just at the point where I will be fitting my cowling, then the canopy and of course the instrument panel (electrical).

So I hope I don't have to drive there. It's so much more fun to fly and less than half the time.

I just hope when I retire, I have good enough health and enough money to fly.
I need to make a coast to coast trip in an airplane I built with my own hands to honor my father. In high school, we would go from coast to coast in his airplane over the summer just before school started, and I always wanted to fly alongside him in my plane. I couldn't muster up enough money or drive to do that while he was alive so I'll go it alone. I'm sure there will be tears along the way as I fly to and over some of the same places I remember as a kid. All in all we made 7 trips across the USA (no not all of them were when I was in high school).

I have to make at least one more trip.

2 comments:

Steph said...

I was wondering that. isn't flying like an uber expensive past time?

? said...

I'm sure there will be tears along the way as I fly to and over some of the same places I remember as a kid.

That's so touching, Bad Bob. It's wonderful that your father passed on his love for flying to you. Very special.