Tuesday, July 07, 2009

2-1/2 Weeks before we fly to Oshkosh


Yep it will be Oshkosh by Gosh!!! The Airventure website says 600,000 people and 12,000 airplanes! Although I'm not a fan of large crowds, when I started building my airplane a buddy and I made a pact to fly it to Oshkosh when it was finished.
This is the year!
The plan is to fly from Spartanburg, SC to Crossville, TN and stop for gas and visit another friend for an hour or so. Then we will make a short hop to Clarksville, TN to meet up with two other buddies who have similar airplanes.
We'll stay overnight and depart Crossville at 6:00 AM. That won't be too bad as they are an hour behind us.
From there it will only take about 4 hours flying time (or so as their airplanes aren't quite as fast as mine. YAY!!) But they can fly longer on a tank of gas....Oh well! (My plane gets about 30mpg)

We will need to make one stop for fuel, but will stop about halfway and then again just before we get there as we may have to fly a holding pattern for a while to get in line to land...remember, 12,000 airplanes?

We won't stay the whole week, but I am looking forward to it. And, I'm dreading it at the same time.
No matter what, it'll be one more lifetime experience I can add to the list.

1 comment:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

This sounds like so much fun! I hope you have a wonderful time, and take lots of pictures :) Some of us bloggers just hang out with bees- and some of us (you) actually have wings with which to fly :)
I love it!