Tuesday, July 01, 2008

I have a new job

A buddy of mine in Australia says I'm too late to party with him and his mates. "We're all grown up and sensible these days".
So? My new job is a High School Assistant Principal at the end of July!!!

WTF?

I used to run sound for Rock and Roll bands in the 70's. I worked on racing teams from late 70's for almost 10 yrs. I worked in the Bahamas for the Naval Undersea Weapons Center. (Best job in the world I might add. Until I had a head on collision with a drunk driver who died in the crash and almost killed me.) I built a Hot Rod out of a 1937 Chevrolet coupe for Dave Hope, the former bass player of Kansas. There are a number of things I can't post at this time, but when I tell people stories of my life, most people think I make them up. Some are so bizarre that I shake my head and laugh. Sometimes I can't believe I'm still alive.

I have a job that requires me to be sensible and I'm grown up now, but I can still hold my own with the best of 'em.

I'm scrambling to get the plane off the ground in a few weeks because as soon as school starts, I'll have to get up at 5:15 - 5:30 AM to be at work at 7:15... (I live 60 miles from my new job). I've certainly seen 5:15 more times from the night before than I have from getting up that early.

This is all part of my plan to boost my retirement. I hope to retire in 10 yrs and hope that my retirement is enough to live on since I didn't plan too well for it.

The plane will be going to the hangar this weekend I hope. Then it's installing the wings and tail and hooking up the controls and wait for the inspection.

Of all the things I've done, places I've seen, and what I've survived, I just hope I survive this new job. I've been at my old one for almost 9 yrs and am pretty comfortable here. The unknown can be scary.

8 comments:

travistee said...

What wonderful and exciting news, Bob! Congratulations. AND you're FLYING to work? Sounds like your life hasn't become entirely dull yet....

Bad Bob said...

My life can be described as dull somewhat as I spend most of the time outside of work on my plane. It is number one on the bucket list. I am scrambling to finish it asap because my free time is going to go all to hell in a few weeks.

fingers said...

'I worked in the Bahamas for the Naval Undersea Weapons Center. (Best job in the world I might add. Until I had a head on collision with a drunk driver who died in the crash and almost killed me.)'

Did you have a head-on with a Russian nuclear submarine...

Bad Bob said...

Hey Fingers,
It wasn't a russian sub, but a drunk driver. Never did see any unwanted craft in the ocean there, but was amazed more than just a few times at some of the technology...and stupidity of the military.
Sure liked to fish though and we always caught plenty.

fingers said...

It was a lame gag about Russian sub-drivers drunk on vodka...

Steph said...

Wow, that is some career change. Good luck hun.

Bad Bob said...

Thanks Steph! I'm going to need it. Just hope I can finish my plane before school starts. It'll be close.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

An Assistant Principal? Oh my :) I hope, for your sake, it's kind of like being the "prince" and brother to the King...the one who has a great title- but little of the real responsibility :)
However, I think you can handle the job- no matter what they throw at you :)