Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fedoras and Tommy guns


Last weekend I left work at 2 and drove to Lowe's Motor Speedway to meet up with some friends and watch the NASCAR Truck race. It was exciting there at the end and I left for home around 10:30. Got up Saturday and first thing a friend is having trouble with the hatch on her van. Spent most of the morning rounding up a part and a special tool to remove the broken one, then left for the track again for the All Star race.
Left the track at 11PM and spent over an hour and 20 minutes completely stopped without moving. I was steamed. Finally arrived home at 2AM, took a shower and changed clothes. Went to my buddies house and crawled in the back seat of his truck. Left at 3AM and drove to upstate New York (900 miles away) to pick up his new 1930 Model A Ford Town Car. We arrive there around 7PM, drove the car around, did the transaction, loaded up and headed back. At about midnight we stopped for the night. Got up the next morning and headed back on the final leg and arrived home about 8PM Monday.
Reminds me of the time many years ago when a bunch of us kids were at Santa Cruz beach and someone said "lets go get a coke" so we drove to LA and got one. LA was about 400 miles away.
Can anyone Say Road trip? I'm in, even though it takes a bit longer to recuperate.

7 comments:

Steph said...

You did all that for an old car?

Men!

Bad Bob said...

Well Steph for me, it wasn't to get the car, but to help out a friend. The friend who has a larger financial stake than me in the airplane we have. The friend whom I helped build another hangar at his house so there is plenty of room to keep the planes in...especially the plane I am building.
So, if you wanted me to go on a road trip for (with) you for some hair-brained reason, count me in!!

Mazdaman said...

Tell your friend that is a very nice ride. Another for the collection? Give us an update on the Bad Bob Flying Machine. Later.

fingers said...

Steph doesn't understand doing that but can explain spending Sundays with her legs in the air while they wax her smoo...

Bad Bob said...

Hey Fingers,
If Steph asked me to wax her smooth on that Sunday, I don't think I would have gone to New York...
But I know that ain't gonna happen! Not unless I win the big lottery anyway.

fingers said...

See Bob, that's why you're never going to win the big lottery, mate.
Fate doesn't award large sums of money to plonkers who'd rather wax snatches on their weekend than do something clever with their winnings...

Bad Bob said...

Hmmm. If waxing snatches isn't clever, I wonder what would be? Blow it?