Thursday, August 16, 2007

I fly to work


Don't read that as I fly for work... I just commute to work in an airplane. Not all the time, but so far this summer about 2-3 times a week.
I live 50 miles away by car, and it takes 55 minutes. When I fly, it takes about an hour and 10 minutes. WTF? That's from door to door.
10 minutes to Gene's, 10 minutes to preflight the plane, 35 min to warm it up, taxi, take off and land (depending on the wind), 5 minutes to tie it down and 10 minutes to work.
Do I mind? How can you mind, no traffic, speeding by the little cars down there, the freedom of flight and of course the "Cool Factor"! The cool factor is slightly diminished by having to bum a ride to work and back, but is somehow also raised by who picks me up and drops me off.

Besides the plane started life as a Cessna 152 Commuter, so even though it is now a Texas Taildragger, it's my commuter. As the days get shorter, my commuting ability will change.

So, since tomorrow is a teacher work day, I might take it off too. The question now becomes, "Where should I fly?"

7 comments:

little things said...

Geez, aren't you lucky!
But not as lucky as me. I work from home in a t shirt and underwear.
I walk to work.
:)

Bad Bob said...

I used to work at a machine shop and lived upstairs. There was a fire pole in the living room that went into the office. 1.5 second commute to work. 30 seconds to walk around and go up the stairs to go home.
Now I'm 50 miles away....
Way cool on the work outfit!! I'd do that if I could.

? said...

Where should you fly? Timbuktu. I hear the weather's been nice there lately.

Bad Bob said...

Timbuktu? That anywhere near Boobsville?
The weather here has been miserable lately.

Bad Bob said...

OK, now I looked up where it is...West Africa. So you are trying to get rid of me already?
My plane won't make it over the water that far. I could go to Nova Scotia, Greenland, Iceland, Wales, England, France and then Egypt...I don't think I get that much vacation. Thanks for the tip tho.

avi8tor4fn said...

I flew to work this morning in my Cherokee 140 and I can relate. I have to leave home about 45 minutes earlier to get to work on time. My drive is 30 miles, about 45-50 minutes. Flight time only about 15 minutes, sometimes only 12. But I have to drive to the airport, uncover and inspect the plane, start, warm-up, perform run-up, take-off, level off at around 2500, start descent about 8 minutes later, land & tie down at the other end. Sometimes I don't bother to cover it like today. Then I have to walk about 3 blocks to work. It costs me at least twice as much money and takes more time but it is well worth it for all the reasons you state. The cool factor, and just flying instead of driving. I do it because I can. I am fortunate that the company I work for is right on the other side of the runway. If there was a hole in the fence, I could park down at the end of the runway and walk right in the back door.

Anonymous said...

Plаnts, especially the younger ones, are usually susceptible to damage from tҺe light reflected off snow,
so shield theіr lower stems by paintіng them. First,
as was said in the introduction, Tinnіtus itself isn't a medical ϲondition but thе result of some other undеrlying condition or problem.
Heavy alcohol consumption may lead to the development
of hypеrtensiοn whicɦ can develop into coronaгy heart ԁisease.



Feel free to visit my webpage; diseaseless pdf