Tuesday, October 03, 2006

De Plane, De Plane!!

A couple of weekends ago, I cleaned out the garage and cut my 4' x 12' bench down to 4' x 4'. This gave me enough room to put the plane diagonally in the garage to give me a lot more room to work. I have some rugs that came out of the house when I put down the laminate floor in there, so it is a nice comfotable place to be. Over the weekend, I installed the rudder pedals and am now fitting the engine mount. Once that's in place, I'll be installing the landing gear, and then I can push it around. It's actually getting closer to being finished.
I haven't worked on it much since I started my master's degree, and now that I'm getting close to being finished, it is easier to make time to work on the plane.
This weekend, I'm going to the American Sonex Association Fly-In in Crossville, TN to hook up with some other builders and get some ideas, inspiration and hopefully some tips for installing the canopy and drilling the titanium for the landing gear. I suppose the canopy will be the next "expensive" thing I'll need to buy. That completion list is getting shorter, and I'm getting excited about it. If I took a couple of weeks off work, I could probably make a serious dent in the amount of work left in completing the plane. I'll still need money though, and of course, the old "tail wheel" endorsement in the log book.
I feel good about it because I know that this is the plane I will be able to finish. The Kitfox was out of my reach, and my heart just wasn't in it.
Gus Schlegel took a trip from Kansas City to the West Coast and back in his Sonex a couple of years ago, and I love reading it. It is great inspiration. You can see it here.

No comments: