Monday, January 30, 2012

December 25th 2011

That was the day my mother died. I was not as upset as I was when my dad died, as his was unexpected. Mom lasted several years longer than I thought she would. I still feel guilty for not spending more time with her or talking on the phone, but she was in California, and I ame here in South Carolina. I did see her and talk to her before she went to the nursing home, but the last 8 months or so, she didn't know who I was.
I still feel guilty, however.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob...I am so sorry for your loss. Even if you had been with her every moment before she passed- it wouldn't have changed anything. Watching my mom suffer in the months she was sick was heartbreaking, and my mom would have done anything to have kept us from seeing her pain if she could have.
Hugs friend...you are in my thoughts-
-Cora

Memphis said...

My father died unexpectedly, too. We all were under the impression that he was going to recover and be fine, out and home very soon. And then, suddenly, he was gone. Making matters worse, Mom had him cremated so there was no viewing. I was in Memphis when he died so it was all just phone calls and people talking, telling me he was gone. But never seeing him that way, even after the 'funeral' where an urn sat at the front of the church alongside his photograph, it just didn't feel as if he was really gone. It simply felt as if he had gone out for a long motorcycle ride and wasn't back yet. It still feels that way.